Two Dots and A Line: A Short Story on my Little Arm Tattoo



I get a lot of questions about this little tat so I figured I'd tell y'all the story behind it. 

I don't even remember how long ago I got it, but this is my little tattoo with simply consists of two dots and a line. It's probably the most meaningful tat I have. It's also the one that seems to perplex people the most. I've gotten everything from puzzled looks to people assuming that I tried to practice on myself with a tattoo gun. I've even had people accuse me of trying to be minimalist, of having it for purely aesthetic reasons. None of those things are true.

What actually happened was that I was at a time in my life where I was really into getting inked. In fact, this little tat happens to be my latest one. I really wanted one closest to my inner elbow joint, but I figured since it was such a small spot I probably shouldn't get something elaborate. I then turned to Kiersten for help.

For those who don't know about Kiersten, to say she's been my sister from another mister is putting it mildly. Her and I are a year apart, but we were basically inseparable since her birth. Our mothers are cousins, both immigrated from Jamaica. The way things have gone within our family,  for decades there's been a phenomenon where each generation has a "pair" or more. Not purposely, but each pair shares a virtually unbreakable bond. Again, this has been consistent for decades. Kiersten and I are our generation's pair. 

We've watched each other grow up, essentially. Around puberty things became a little shaky due to us both cultivating our own lives, creating our own experiences and giving each other the space to be ourselves. Naturally, we were at odds quite often. We've since let our differences strengthen us than divide us. We've grown to love each other even more because of them. 

Fast-forwarding back to a more recent past, I had asked her to draw me something to get inked considering I'd decided I wanted a tattoo to commemorate our sisterhood. Our relatives used to say that we were so close, we were "like rice and peas". It became a nickname between the two of us (She was Rice and I was Peas, respectively) so I thought a little line drawing of a bowl of the dish would be perfect. She had other ideas. Looking back, I'm glad we went with hers. She said she'd draw something, and whatever she drew I'd have immortalized on me forever. 

Days went by, and I began to worry. I thought, "What could she possibly be drawing that takes more than half an hour?" I think she was just putting a lot of thought in it. Nonetheless, imagine my surprise when she came back to me with about three different variations of two dots and a line. I was thinking the same thing everyone else who sees my tattoo thinks, "What?!" 
Then she explained. 
She told me that one dot was her, the other was me, and the line was the path of life. 
It's so corny and simple, but it meant so much. It still does. 


Kiersten, myself, and our aunt Monica.


1 comment

Tell me.